Suttons Bay Township
Short Term Rental Program
Short term rentals have always provided an important community benefit by expanding the number and type of lodging facilities available. In an effort to balance the economic needs with the desired residential community character of the Township the Township Board has adopted a Short Term Rental Ordinance that will go into effect in 2018. You do not need a permit to operate a Short Term Rental for this summer.
- A short term rental is defined as any dwelling unit that is leased out for a period of less than 30 days at a time.
- Short Term Rental operations applies to the entire residence. If you rent out a room or two while still residing on the property you fall under the Bed and Breakfast guidelines.
- The Short Term rental permit requirements apply to the Residential Districts only. If you do not know if this applies to your property please call the office.
The Township Process:
- The township will issue up to 150 Short Term Rental Permits per year. They will be issued on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Applications for a Short Term Rental permit for 2018 will be accepted beginning August 1, 2017. Application will not be accepted BEFORE August 1, 2017. The Township will return, via U.S. Mail, any applications turned in prior to August 1st.
- The permit fee is $200, to be paid annually.
- In each subsequent year renewal applications will be accepted for the following year beginning October 1 and ending February 28. On March 1 of each year each application will be processed as they come in, regardless if it is a renewal or first-time application.
For further information, please contact the township office at 231-271-2722.
Short Term Rental Ordinance
Short Term Rental Permit Application
Short Term Rental Application Policy
This page last updated on 6/29/2017.