About Leelanau Township

In 1840, the lands now forming the counties of Benzie, Leelanau and Grand Traverse were joined as Grand Traverse County. By 1853, Benzie and Leelanau had become Leelanau Township within Grand Traverse County. On February 27, 1863, Leelanau County was created by the State Legislature and consisted of Centerville, Glen Arbor and Leelanau Townships. The County seat, originally in Northport, was moved from Leelanau Township to Leland in 1883. Leelanau Township consists of the northernmost portion of Michigan’s Leelanau Peninsula. Its southern boundary is approximately 20 miles northwest of Traverse City. North Fox, South Fox and Gull Islands, also part of Leelanau Township, account for approximately 15 percent of the Township’s total land area of 45 square miles. The Official mailing address is:

This page last updated on 4/28/2014.